Saturday, July 23, 2011

Pokematic Reviews The Social Network

I found this the worst movie ever. Every aspect screamed bad. How this got an Oscar is beyond me. (So people will get a preview of the post with a search engine.)

If it's not a good game or catholic....Who do you call....Why pokematic. Hi.
Search & Win
I just rented the Oscar nominated, or was it awarded film, The social network. The sticker at family video said so. Though I have one question. How did such a terrible movie such as this receive an Oscar and was the most popular film of the year. Or was it nominated. I don't remember and neither IMDB nor Wikipedia will tell me.

So as I was saying, this movie was horrible. Everything about it screamed horrible. The acting, the scripting, the lighting, the overall images, the pacing, EVERYTHING terrible.

Let me start with the storytelling genera. OK, the film tries to be a documentary style film without being a documentary. So to compensate for it's lack of actual documentary, it attempts at being a drama. Here's the issue with blending genres. It doesn't always work as I have pointed out with Unnatural History. Shivers, unnatural history. OK, this blending of genres failed. It would have been better if they had the ability to do an actual documentary with the actual people. But unfortunately they couldn't. So they tried this and failed.

Next lets talk about the Zuckerberg character. While I don't know if he was like this in real life, they made him incredibly distant from being like an actual human. He talks so damn fast I had to replay scenes where he talked so I could here what he said. Now any good director would tell his/her actors to slow down so the audience can understand what the lines are. It is quite frustrating when someone speaks so fast that you can't understand what they're saying and what they are saying is important for the story. I know there is a comedy technique that involves speaking so fast that it is barely comprehend able. But even then they typically say the same sort of thing over and over again many times so the audience can understand what is being said. That was not the case with Zuckerberg. He spoke incredibly fast and said things once. That's not good. You will leave your audience confused as to what was just said.
Another thing about him was the fact that he had absolutely no emotions. And when I say none, I mean none. In addition to the super fast. It was also mono-tone. Any public speaker will tell you that you will bore your audience if you speak mono-toneistically. It was a bore listening to him. And he was put in situations that would lead to a rainbow of emotions. Wow rainbow of emotions. Anyways, it was like listening to a robot. But not a cool one. If that was intended, it sucked.

The story moved way to fast. Well "story" is a bit of a stretch but I'll get to that. We start out with Zuckerberg on a date with some girl that did little for the story. So then it goes really quickly to Zuckerber creating a hot or not site of people from his college. Weird but OK. That site goes viral and he is then thrown into writing "the facebook." (look confused scratching head) Uhhh OK. But in writing the hot or not site he used some chess algorithm. How does that work? But before I could try to figure that out, he's getting sued. What the? Over what? Apparently he stole some kind of algorithm in writing "the facebook." Wait, what algorithm? That one for writing the hot or not site? I was so confused. So at that point I gave up and stopped watching it. Yeah that's right, I stopped a movie before it was over.

I mentioned the "story" earlier, or lack there of. The "story" was so dry that I would rather watch the news. And PS; I hate the news. But I won't get into it. I get that it's about the finding of facebook, but I have not seen a story so dry and boring since reading a history text book. And might I mention that there were elements that added nothing to the story and were shearly random. Example A: the scene where the couple make out in a bathroom stall for about 5 minutes. It's not like it even added sex appeal because there was nothing hot about it. The only reason people think this story was "intriguing" was because it was about their favorite website ever. Oh, and my cousins who are facebook addicts, hated this movie. It was that bad.

Now I mentioned the camera and lighting very early on. Like at the beginning of the post. I read a review that said that the lighting and camera was amazing. Obviously the guy hasn't seen good movies with great lighting and camera. Many of the scenes took place at either night or in dark places. Now for a scene or two, that can be fine. Or if it takes place at night and is like a spy movie or something, playing with different shades of black and shadows takes care of that. But that wasn't the case. Lots of the scenes in the dark had poor lighting causing an ugly yellow to come off as the whites and so. Then all the dark looked horrible against Zuckerbergs white face, causing it to look like a floating head. Then there was the jump to the light scenes, and it was a bit much. It was like "whoah! Color shock." If I were to do something like this and hand it in as a project for video class. My teacher would have given me a bad grade or tell me to redo it because the camera and lighting was horrible.

After all this bashing, I feel I should tell the one thing that was nearly good. I'm a nerd, I know HTML coding. At one point, they were talking about all the math and coding that goes into it. But that was barely any of it. So once the movie almost got my attention. It lost it by dropping the nerd stuff. And loved the shout outs to myspace but we all know he destroyed the fan base for that with his stupid site.

I have absolutely no idea how this movie got such high praise. It dethroned Scott Pilgrim as worst movie I've ever scene. I'll get to that later. That just proves that the Oscars are rigged, because this movie sucked. Don't waist your time on this horrible movie.

Well this has been Pokematic signing off and bu bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment