Monday, July 25, 2011

Pokematic Harry Potter and the deathly Hallows part 2 review

This was an amazing movie. The special effects were amazing. The trueness to the story was great. (Here for the search teaser)

If it's not a good game or catholic...Who do you call?...Why Pokematic "hi."
Search & Win
How often does a great end to a great series come along? Not often I can tell you. And that is exactly what Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was. I recently just saw Harry Potter and the Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Part 2, or HP8 as I like to abbreviate. I saw it in IMAX at the Henry Ford in 3D. But I talk about that in the personal blog here. So now on to the actual review.

Let me start with the technical stuff first because once I get to story, there will be spoilers. Now like many Harry Potter movies, this had beautiful visuals. And as I mentioned, it was in 3D IMAX. I have always seen the Potter movies in IMAX, and it is always good as such. There's just something about seeing everyone with 10 ft faces. And the 3D was surprisingly good. I'm not sure if it was shot in 3D or was post production, but they did a good job with it. I'll talk about one particular scene later in the spoilers part. Then at the beginning, when it opens up with the Warner Brothers logo and the title of the movie, they changed the music so it was creepier.

And speaking of creepy, this movie will keep you on the edge of your seat and I felt like all this was going down. I swear it got colder in that theater at times. Shivers went down my spine. I almost cried because of the pain that was caused in one scene. If a movie can evoke those kinds of emotions, it's some quality story telling.

If you wish to stop now before the spoilers, this was an amazing end to a great series. I highly recommend it to every fan and passive follower.
Now on to the story part.
Major Spoiler Alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, the last film ended with Voldemort taking the elder wand. And at the beginning of this film it started out with a flashback of that scene. Then it jumps to Doby's grave and Harry was right up there with it. He then goes and sees the goblin that takes Harry, Ron, and Hermione to Bellatrix's vault. Which might I say, was an amazing scene. It had a first person element and looked amazing.

What am I doing? This film follows the book so well you could read that and you would know what was happening. They changed a few things to make the movie run faster, but they weren't super important.

One really cool thing was when Harry or his friends would destroy a horcrux, there would be a cut to Voldemort and show him getting weaker. That was really cool.

The break down in Hogwarts was really cool. Snape had all the students gather in the great hall to try to find the whereabouts of Harry, when out of no where, Harry steps forward and along with some Order members, reclaim the castle. That was really cool. Then everyone sets up defences. All the teachers set up this shield spell and Magonigle enchants these statues to defend

Well I guess now is as good a time as any to mention the pencive scene. Now this was a cool creative liberty that I think worked really well. In the book when Snape gave Harry the memory that explained everything, it was on the tip of Snapes wand and it was so large the flask nearly couldn't hold all of it. But in the movie, it was a tear. Snape was crying and that was the memory, and it fit nicely in the vile. That was a nice touch. Now on to the actual memory it's self. Like I mentioned earlier, the entire movie was in good 3D. Well for the pencive scene with all the recalling, everything was in 2D. And not bad Last Airbender supposed to be 3D but nothing was done so now the screen just is blurry. This was clear, I can take my glasses off 2D. That gave a nice comparison to the lush 3D real world to the flat 2D memory world. And not only did they do a good job casting a believable young Snape, but also included the sorting hat scene of Harry being sorted from HP1 and the oclemency scene from HP5. That surprised me and was really cool since they had the memory smoke boarder.

One thing that both my mom and I was hoping for was this one line from the big end fight scene between good people and death eaters. It is when Bellatrix Lastrange is fighting Ginny Weasly. In the book Mrs Weasly jumps in and yells "not my daughter you bitch." Thankfully that was left in, and not blotched. You could feel the mama bear in Mrs Weasly in those few words.

There was one thing that I was slightly irked with, and that was the lack of the christian allegory at the end with Harry being a Christ figure. For a full explanation given by catholiccontriversy, click here. It's the fourth video. But that was the book, and I felt they didn't do a good job conveying that. And this isn't English class Bull, Rowling made it quite obvious I feel. But I'll talk about the King's Cross scene. Originally when Harry dies, he goes to a place that reminds him of Kings Cross train station. And they do that in the movie I feel quite well. Originally he finds basically a random dead guy who is lost, but in the movie, it was the piece of Voldemort that was in Harry. Really cool. There Harry finds Dumbledoor, in a white robe, in an all white world. Normally that would be bad, but in this land of after death, it works. A kind of funny thing was how we had the polarized video, there was dirt or something on the right lens causing a few black spots and it could only really be seen in that scene because of the white. But it was polarized spots because if I closed my right eye, it wasn't there in the left picture.

I failed to mention the part about how before Harry dies, he gets the resurrection stone and brings back the ghosts of his lost friends, and HIS PARENTS. This was the first ever conversation he's had with them, and it was done quite well.

Harry comes back to life for a final dual with Voldemort. As us book readers know, there wasn't much to the final dual with Voldemort. In fact it wasn't explained quite well what happened either. Well this time around, it was drawn out into an epic battle that took place all over the castle, or what was left of it. Voldemort still kind of just dies, but he gets pealed away into nothing.

One thing I was a bit concerned about was the epilogue scene where Harry and Ginny, along with Ron and Hermione, send their kids off to Hogwarts. Harry and Ginny get married and Ron and Hermione get married and have kids. I was kind of wondering how they would make them look older, and they did wonderfully. I believed they were in their thirties.

It is a great movie and I recommend all fans and passive followers see it. This has been Pokematic signing off, and bu-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment