Sunday, December 17, 2017

Vidme Has Shut Down, and It REALLY Saddens Me

Vidme fought YouTube, and YouTube won.

If it's not a good game or catholic...who do you call?...why Pokematic "hi."

Well folks, it's official, Vidme is dead. Last Friday Vidme shutdown the servers and nothing can be accessed. If you want to hear pretty much all my thoughts, check out my podcast about it below.

One thing I forgot to mention was what I REALLY liked for the related videos, that was a bit of a double edge sword. In the related videos, it was the 6 most recent videos from that creator that you haven't watched yet. It made it REALLY easy to binge creators and make sure you saw all their videos. What made it a double edge sword though is that it made it hard to discover new creators. I only discovered Fiction Addiction and Super Dan after finishing binging Stoonios and EyeofSol, respectively. It would have probably been better if the top 3 videos were unwatched videos from creators and the other 3 were from other creators, but oh well.

Now, I need to talk about the final days. On Thursday I made one of my blog videos public that asked if anyone was still here. It blew up kind of big considering it was one of the last videos posted to the vidme category. There were about 150 views in 12 hours, and a lot of comments. Then with like 2 hours before the servers shut down, I shared another video I called "the last vidme video?" basically saying "I have a video I haven't shared yet, there are 2 hours left of life, is this the last video to be posted to 'freshly uploaded?'" I had one guy repost it, which felt good. I also had someone follow me in the last hours. I messaged him saying "thank-you for following me, here's where you can find me after the servers die." I didn't have access for the last moments, so I missed them. I also sent a tweet to vidme saying "I'm still here for you to the end" and they liked it.

Now just because vidme stopped allowing uploads didn't mean the posts stopped. I saw a lot of people release their "patreon exclusive" videos because "vidme's dying, here you go folks." I did some similar with my blog videos, though those were more "getting messages to the fans." There were many people that changed the titles of their most recent videos to get messages out to their fans. I am a bit bummed vidme didn't take me up on my offer to allow all users to post this exact video with to get a message to their fans of where they can still be found.


Oh well. It was a fun time while it lasted. I'm still trying to keep in contact with the friends I made there. Really sad to see it go though. This has been Pokematic, signing off, and bu-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment