Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Pokematic Reviews Disney's Big Hero 6

So... What happens when Marvel and Walt Disney Animation Studios work together to make a movie? Well, read and find out.

If it's not a good game or catholic...who do you call?...why Pokematic "hi."

So...we're just getting off amazing movies like Wreck it Ralph and...Frozen. I'm not going to bash Frozen. It's a good movie. It's very well written. Has really strong characters. And takes fairy tales in a direction they really haven't gone. Is it better than Wreck it Ralph? Well I love Wreck it Ralph because it's a video game movie done right and it appeals to my nerd self so I can't objectively say. Is it overrated? Well I'll just say it's getting a disproportionate amount of air time. But enough about the most recent good Disney movies. Is this proving that we are entering the next renaissance? Spoilers. Yes, this movie is great.

OK, spoiler free now. I'll start with the story. This movie focuses on Hiro. Yes I spelled that right. Watch the credits and check the wikis. The main character's name is Hiro, pronounced "hee-ro," or if you're Honey Lemon "Hei-dro." Hiro is a genius in robotics and technology, having graduated from high school when he was 13. Now he battles robots in the underground robot battles. It's kind of like cock fighting meets battlebots. After some important story points, he has to work with a robot nurse made by his brother called baymax to fight a super villain along with his friends Fred, Wasabi, Go Go, and Honey Lemon. Anything else would be spoilers and would be bad.

The characters are also pretty awesome. Fred, Wasabi, Go Go, and Honey Lemon are just kind of side kicks that add stability to Hiro and Baymax. But when you look at Hiro and Baymax, oh man those are some characters. Hiro develops to know who he is and deal with his past and that's good. But Baymax is great. He's a robot that can learn things. He doesn't really develop like a human because, well, he's not. He's not even alive. But you wouldn't be able to tell because of how he works. Then when he needs to learn something new, like MAJOR NEW, he gets an upgrade programed by Hiro.

OK, so it's REALLY hard to review this movie without giving away crucial plot points. It's really hard because it's not quite a story that I've seen before. There's a couple of super hero things here and there, but it's all quite original. I guess if I knew the source material I would be a little more open with what happens, but I'm guessing most of us aren't. It's not like with Spider-Man where you can say "Uncle Ben dies" or "Snape kills Dumbledoor," where it's technically a spoiler but since everyone knows the story already it's fine to say. This I don't feel confident saying things.

So what am I going to talk about now? Well I'm going to talk about the art style. This is kind of a "modern Walt Disney Animation Studio meets anime" sort of look. If you look at some characters, especially Hiro and Tadashi, you can definitely feel some anime influences. I mean this does take place in "San Fran Tokyo" so it makes sense to add some anime flair. I mean it still looks Western. It's not like the couple of CGI anime movies I've seen, but there are influences.

Overall. This is a great movie. I highly recommend it. I wish I could go into more detail, but this movie is so original I would be doing spoilers, and this movie deserves to not be spoiled. I am looking forward to this next renaissance.Well, this has been Pokematic, signing off, and bu-bye.

Oh, and this is a "Marvel movie." There is a Stan Lee cameo and an after credits scene. Animated Stan Lee looks awesome. I don't know if Disney will keep this as a stand alone film or if they will go full Marvel and expand on the universe like other Marvel movies. Either way they ended it on a walk off into the sunset ending, enough closed so we aren't left wondering but enough open that a sequel could happen.

Oh, and as a little "after credits Easter egg" for you, at the theater there was a display for "The Interview" where you get your picture taken with supreme leader. Here I am with Kim Jong Un.

No comments:

Post a Comment