Saturday, August 27, 2011

Why is Disney's Doug so Critisized

I grew up watching this, and wonder what the big deal is.

If it's not a good game or catholic...who do you call?...why Pokematic "hi"

I've been trying to find some information on Disney's Doug since it was the Doug I grew up with, and while I enjoy the Nick version, and can find on demand and such, I want to see the Doug I know and love. Well when looking up, I found so much hate for Disney's Doug. And here's my question, why?

I remember watching Disney's Doug on 1 Saturday Morning, Disney's One Too, and Toon Disney. I also remember watching it on Nick at my grandparents house. I couldn't see any real difference between them aside from a different theme song and a couple of changes that quite frankly, don't make that large a difference, but apparently is so important to nick's Doug fans. Here's the thing, Doug is Doug. As a 5-8 year old, it didn't really matter weather it was Nick or Disney.

I think I have an idea why people complain so much about Disney's Doug. It's all nostalgia, just nostalgia. People had Nick's Doug for 4 years. People got so used to the Nick version, that when some minor changes occurred, people couldn't take it. The most drastic change was the lengthening of the episodes from 2 15 minute episodes to 1 30 minute episode. Now as someone who has done some writing and knows how to tell a story, a 30 minute time allows more time for plot and story development. While that did mean I was never able to finish an episode when watching it in the morning before school, think about it, longer time means more complex stories.

Now while that would be an adjustment, and so would a new theme song, many of the things people complain about is so ridiculous. People complain about the beets breaking up. From what I remember, the beets weren't super important in the Nick version. While they did break up, I remember them playing a very active role in many story plots of the Disney version. Disney gave them more life, quit complaining.

People complain about Doug's voice. Want to know why his voice is different? It's because the original voice actor didn't want to be a part of Disney's Doug. So what did Disney do? They tried their hardest and from what I recall, included the voice change as a minor plot point in an episode. I have confirmation, in the first episode of Disney's Doug, where Doug is all afraid of change, he says "you want to know what I hate about change? It keeps on chaanging. Hmm, guess my voice is changing." Yeah, Disney had the courtesy to explain the voice change.

People complain about the Honker Burger getting taken down and the hang out being replaced by Swirlies. OK, that one was a bit odd. Probably has something to do with wanting to reinvent themselves. But quite frankly, what difference does it make? The kids don't hang out at the burger joint but instead at an ice cream joint. They still sit at tables, still hang out, still eat food, what's the big deal? I remember there being at least one story being based on the new fancy food place.

The list goes on and on. Quite frankly, most of them are just minor cosmetic changes. New clothes and such. Didn't change the story or flow at all. Want to know a change I felt was for the better? The animation was better with Disney. Disney's Doug has much smoother animation than Nick's Doug. I like cartoons to feel polished. Another positive? It was on network TV. Nick only had a brief period of network TV airing, Nick on CBS. And from what I remember, it was basically Sponge Bob and other reruns. Disney on the other hand, aired everything new on network TV, aka One Saturday Morning. I was able to watch it since I didn't have cable as a kid.

All I have to say is, don't let some cosmetic changes and network transfer ruin a good show for you. If you like Doug so much, here's a question for you? Would you rather have a good series canceled or have it continued by someone else where they change a few minor things but keep it going? I would rather have it continued. I want Pokemon continued here in the US even if it is Pokemon USA and the video is no longer edited. If you don't like the Disney version because there are differences, watch the first episode of Disney's Doug and all the changes will be explained and closure will be given.

Well this has been Pokematic signing off and bu bye.

1 comment:

  1. I personally grew up with both Nickelodeon and Disney and have fond memories of both channels. While Nickelodeon's Doug held more familiarity with me, eventually the Disney version grew on me. I can understand people preferring the Nickelodeon version, but saying Disney ruined Doug is not only ignorant but somewhat insulting as well. Most of the crew who worked on the original Doug moved to work on the new series. While I've heard that there were tensions between Jim Jinkins and Disney, I don't think it affected Doug and the changes(if it really bothered people that much) should be taken up with the creators themselves.

    ReplyDelete