Sunday, August 21, 2011

Where's Naruto Shippuden?

It's your best show and you treat it like crap. Let us fans know when it's on.

If it' not a good game or catholic...who do you call?...Why Pokematic "hi."

I don't care about the edits, they aren't that bad. I don't care about the dub and voice acting, viz does a good job with that. I don't care that it's on Disney XD and not Cartoon Network. But what I do care about is that the schedule is inconstant with no warning.

A couple of years ago, Disney XD acquired the rights to the dub of Naruto Shippuden not long after their re branding as Disney XD. I'll admit, I wasn't super happy about the Toon Disney becoming Disney XD, but once I foud out that that's where Naruto Shippuden would air after Naruto was canceled on Cartoon Network, I was looking forward to it. Sure all the other fans were all "this is so stupid, Disney is going to edit the shit out of it, why didn't they put it on cartoon network?" but not me. I went in with an open mind and genuinely liked the TV dub. I remember Viz releasing the first episode dubed for free via PSN, so I compared the uncut dub to the cut dub, and it wasn't all that bad. Sure, the time and day was a bit odd, Wednesday night at 8:30, but it was on and I watched it every week. Fast forward a couple of months, and the new episode wasn't there, it was a rerun of the suit life of Zack and Cody. I don't want to watch a TV show that I've seen already, I want new Naruto. I guess the hiatus was due to not having enough episodes. Well wait a few weeks and Naruto is back on Wednesday at 8:30.

Now I watch Disney XD regularly, so I know when they advertise. With a little warning this time, they change Naruto Shippuden to 9:00 on Wednesday night. OK, let us know, less weirder than 8:30 in my opinion. Well this goes on for months, but then Naruto drops off the face of Disney XD with no warning or explanation at all. I went months without watching Shippuden. Sure, I could have watched it subbed on Hulu like I did before XD, but I figured it was just another hiatus and would come back in a few weeks. Weeks turned into months and it seemed as if Shippuden has left the channel. I looked high and low to find when Shippuden would be on Disney XD, but aparently I just didn't look hard enough. I saw that it was on at 11 pm on Saturday, but those were reruns and I'm typically too tired to stay up later than 11 and actually get anything out of it. The Disney XD website was no help. The TV line-up websites I went to were no help. All seemed lost. Until last night.

Last night, I decided I'd see what was on Disney XD before I went to bed, and low and behold, Naruto Shippuden, an episode I haven't seen. I figured it was just a rerun that I haven't seen, but after some research, I found out it was a new episode. I was happy, but too tired to rejoice. After a little more research, I found that Disney XD changed the air date and time of Naruto Shippuden to 11 Saturday Night.

Disney XD hasn't handled Naruto Shippuden very well. I don't blame them for the lac of reruns at decent hours. Cartoon Network never even reran Naruto except for the Naruto Hundo so reruns even at crazy hours were still reruns. But beyond that, Disney has done a very poor job at handling Shippuden. Naruto Shippuden was the reason I started watching Disney XD, and for a while, the only reason. Many people came to Disney XD because of Shippuden, and found maybe some of their other shows entertaining. I saw some ads for Naruto Shippuden when Disney XD first started. They were promos saying "we're getting Naruto Shippuden" and after those, they were "we have Naruto Shippuden, watch it." But soon no ads were issued. What was probably their only reason for being successful, they just let go like it was that relative that you wish you didn't have. Then comes the hiatus with no warning at all. I watched only to find out when Naruto was coming back, but they never said. Only after it started airing again did they start running ads. While there was warning of new time slot to 9, there wasn't much. I think only in the week before did they say a couple of times, "Catch at the new time of 9." Then without warning at all, did they move it to a completely different day at a completely different time. There are no ads for Naruto at all. Trust me, I watch Disney XD regularly and there are no ads. I read somewhere that it is because of the violence in the current arc and the not wanting to tone it down to much. Disney, you are paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for the rights for Naruto Shippuden, and it is probably the only reason XD is successful today. I ask that you show some respect for your awesome anime. I don't ask for reruns, I don't ask for an earlier time, all I ask for, is some recognition.

Well this has been Pokematic signing off and bu bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment