Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pokematic Rise of the Planet of the Apes Review

This film has a lot of motion capture and it is done really well.

If it's not a good game or catholic...who do you call...why Pokematic.

I just recently saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I have to say it was one of the best in the series. Not only was the visuals, story, and acting amazing, well...that's kind of what there is. CG was really good but that goes under visuals. Well let's delv into the details, but no spoilers.

Possible spoilers ahead, but it really is just plot synopsis.

First I'll talk about the story. As many of us know by now, Rise of the Planet of the Apes is the telling of how the apes became super intelligent and the dominant species. Well not so much as being dominant, that's for the sequel. Really awesome fight scene between human and ape that we see in the trailers. But that doesn't really tell the coming of dominance. So like I said it follows the coming of intelligence for the apes. The main ape in the movie is Caesar, a chimp that was part of an experiment that caused him to become super intelligent. He is them brought up similarly to a human, but an incident cause him to have the life of an ape forced onto him. Well in his life of an ape, he is with other apes. The place where he is very bad, with horrible living conditions and horrible people in charge, mainly Tom Felton. Figure out the rest for yourself, or go see the movie. There is an Easter egg for us who know the original POTA, but I'm not ruining it.

Next I'll talk about the visuals. In the other movies, the apes were people in amazing makeup. But in those movies, they were supposed to be the new "humans." This time around, the apes are...well apes. They are just apes with above average intelligence. I remember hearing that for Caesar, the same guy that motion captured for Golum/Smegal did the motion capture for Caesar. And must I say, Caesar was amazing with the visuals. I saw it with my grandpa and he had trouble believing that Caesar wasn't a guy in a costume because the CG was so good. A few times I thing they had actual apes because they were doing simple tricks, like putting their hand out. It would sure be easier, and cheaper. But then all the action of the apes was amazing because the CG on them was great. I look forward to seeing how the sequel will be.

Finally I'll talk about the acting. Well as I stated earlier, Caesar is motion capture, and the guy that did that played a great intelligent chimp. Very believable. I sure hope Tom hasn't type casted himself as an evil character who can only play bad guys. I've seen him in interviews and special features, and he's actually quite funny. I sure hope in his next movie that he plays a more comedic role, because he sure is funny. But like Drako before this, he played the abusive, evil ape person that took care of the apes. And while he wasn't sneering "Potter" or "mudblod," he played the evil character quite well. While there was probably some motion capture people in green or blue body suits, the actors interacting with the CG apes was amazing. But now I'm just rambling.

If you are a fan of Planet of the Apes, I highly recommend this movie. If you haven't seen then, rent them, or buy them here.
Amazing movie. Go see it while you can. Because it would best be viewed on a movie screen. This has been Pokematic signing off and Bu bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment